Re: [ifwp] Individual DNSO Membership [Was: Re: Monterey Report]

Roberto and all,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Karl,

> > person
> > > But more important, the fact that humans naturally aggregate into
> > > political parties and other groupings should tell you something.
> >
> > So?  That is a reflection of the fact that people do use their personal
> > decision about their personal vote to form temporary and fluid
> > alliances.
> >
> > There's no need to precast the power structure into a fixed and
> > difficult to change set of organizational blocs.
> >
> I think that individual membership is a good thing, and has to be foreseen
> in the DNSO (as well as ICANN, because I believe the DNSO Membership to be
> just a subset of the ICANN Membership).
> The problem I see is that this sort of "at large Membership" cannot be the
> only constituency.

  Constituencies will be self formed as a natural part of the membership
Organization.

> In fact, to say "one person, one vote" is rather demagogical.
> Most Internet users do not have the time to spend on lists and will not
> express any vote, which will have as a direct consequence that a small
> percentage of users (i.e. the ones like us, who are active on lists) will
> take all decisions on their behalf.

 Nicely said, however it isn't relevant or reasonable Roberto.  The
structure of any SO must include a Membership organization to meet
the requirements of the White Paper and to adequately provide for that
"Voice", whether those that are members use that voice or not.

> Of course, we can have some form of "proxy", but doesn't this lead to other,
> well-known, problems of "capture"?

  Certainly it could.

> I guess the only solution (in my opinion, of course) is to have both a
> "general Membership" and some established groups of interest.

  Fine as long as there is balance of equality of power between the two.