[comments-wgb] RE:Comments about the WG-B Report

We have reviewed the report of the WG-B Report and our comments are as follows.:

1. Famous marks should be protected whether owners of the marks request or not.  To
do so, it is effective to be prepared a list of famous marks.

(Explanation)
Use or registration of a famous mark as a domain name by a person other than the right
owner is liable to mislead consumers about the origin of the mark.  Thus, such use or
registration should not be allowed taking into consideration the protection of the owner of
the mark as well as consumers.

2. We propose that preparation of a famous marks list should be left to WIPO because
WIPO has experience and knowledge in this field.

3. New gTLDs should be adopted after a protection system for famous marks is
established.

(Explanation)
If new gTLDs should be adopted before preventive measures to protect famous marks
are established, this would cause more problems other than existing ones such as
cybersquatting.

Hidemi TANABE
Director
Trademark Division