[comments-gtlds] Comment on Workgroup C. Please consider "Non-Categorization"...

I believe domain naming is one of the single largest challenges we have
facing us to insure natural growth of the Internet.  I believe it so much
that I built a domain naming system, called Simplified Domains.
http://www.simplifieddomains.com  http://simplifieddoma.ins

We are kidding ourselves and misguiding the public, if we try to convince
people, categorization of domain names actually works?  .net, .org, .com
don't really mean anything.  Branding is it.  Branding is the future.  We
all know that, people can register whatever they want under these TLD's.
There will have to be a policing organization for each new TLD.  5 new
TLD's, 5 new police organizations to take care of them.  500 new TLD's, 500
new policing organizations to take care of them.

I am hearing talk out of these discussions that we should release new domain
names slowly, as to give people a chance to plan for them?  Also, I hear
talk of setting aside domain names under these new TLD's for countries that
are third world or in some way not able to participate at this time in an
equal capacity to other countries?

I believe the system that Simplified Domains will truly help small
businesses and smaller technological impoverished countries, is open up so
many TLD's (everything possible) that, supply and demand will keep prices
low.  Simplified Domains opens up 46,000+ TLD's, now.  The combination of
3-back and 46,000+ TLD's is a number so staggering, we will NEVER run out of
domain names.  I am now on record saying, NEVER.

It is irresponsible for these discussions not to consider a "Non-Categorized
Domain Name System".  I submitted testimony before the United States
Congress stating this.  http://www.simplifieddomains.com/testimony/  It
would be a shame if a well thought out, actually operational solution, that
was well documented and written about, does not get serious consideration by
the people reading these comments.

http://boardwatch.internet.com/mag/99/jul/bwm78.html
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-341968.html
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2303100,00.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/tech/news/article/0,2669,ART-31773,FF.html
http://www.simplenames.com
http://stats.davesworld.net/simplified

The following description of Simplified Domains can be downloaded at
http://www.simplifieddomains.com/about/simplified-justified_FINAL.doc

Non-Categorized Domain Name System

We need to abandon the idea of the categorized naming system.  We cannot
effectively police categorization.  Twenty minutes after  .ham is released
for Ham Radio operators, Buddig Meats will file for a Ham Radio License and
register honey.ham if they thought it would help drive traffic to their
site.  The more categorized names we release the more policing organizations
we will need to control who receives what.

With policing efforts easily bypassed and impossible to maintain, any
categorized system will be quickly rendered meaningless and ineffective.  It
is not responsible for us to lead the public to believe that domain name
extensions mean things.  They do not now and will not as time goes along.

The Answer:  Simplified Domains.  Open up all possible extensions using A-Z
and 0-9 (approximately 46,000).  Buddig can have honey.ham and the ham radio
operators can have B8Zqy76.ham.  No policing organizations needed.  This
openness actually helps when it comes to domain addresses meaning things.
It is not designed that way, but it allows people the flexibility to say
things in their domain name if they so choose.

Simple

People can count on it.  As it is now, we will need to get laws passed
globally to prohibit companies like AT&T from using ATT.NETWORKING in their
advertisements.  This is a national campaign currently being run by AT&T.
If we start expanding the size of domain extensions, people will become
confused if what they see in an advertisement is actually a web address or
not.

If someone was inclined to categorize names using Simplified, it could be
done.  For instance, I could start registering things like multime.dia,
cdme.dia, dvdme.dia, or some other category of names that mean something.
This is possible under Simplified.  At least the public can be assured that
the word multime.dia in an advertisement is an actual web address.

Since Simplified cross-references with 1.4 million famous names at the time
of registration, you will be able to overwhelmingly count on johnde.ere,
holiday.inn and generalmot.ors going to the web sites you would think they
would.  As is right now you cannot.  These three companies do not own their
respective .com domains.

Recognizable Names

The shear combination and creativity of a completely open system will allow
for easy to remember addresses, such as phonebook.217, taxi.cab, holiday.inn
and johnde.ere, berlinstockmar.ket, newyorkstockexcha.nge, nas.daq.  You
name it; it will be easy to remember because Simplified actually acts like a
key word system.

Predictability of the “3-Back System”

The “3-Back” DNS system is not only something the public and Internet users
as a whole can count on, but it is something browsers and other software can
count on as well.  If domains are held to “3-Back”, browsers can test for it
in the “Address Bar Food Chain”.  If we maintain this three-character
extension consistency, browsers can first look for the domain as it is, if
that fails, then it can try again with “3-Back”; if that fails it can try
products like Real Names.  Using a “3-Back” test at the time an address is
entered will allow for Internet users to just enter what they mean (i.e.
johndeere) without the period “3-Back”.  The browser would then test for
domain validity with a period “3-Back” as part of the “Address Bar Food
Chain” process.

If we are to open up domains that are longer than “3-Back” we could greatly
increase the difficulty browser companies will have in managing the “Address
Bar Food Chain”.

Expansion of the current system

Since Simplified is an expansion of the current system and not some new
proprietary scheme for naming, it is safe.  We are not out on the proverbial
limb trying to recreate the wheel.  Simplified Domains is simply a release
of all the power that the DNS system has to offer.  The persons that
invented the DNS system could not have predicted what capitalism has done
with the Internet.  Their dream on ease of use for the Internet is well and
alive in Simplified Domains.

Protects against Cyber Squatting

Cyber-Squatting is the practice of persons registering someone’s name with
the intent to sell it back to the rightful owner.  Cyber-Squatting is not
someone registering wallstreet.com and selling it for $1.03 million.  That
is virtual land speculation.  You cannot curb this.  This is called
capitalism.  Under Simplified someone could register jazz.mp3, rock.mp3,
country.mp3 and a dozen others in which they believe they can sell as a
package to someone else for a profit.  Again, this is capitalism and it
CANNOT be stopped.  We all have the same ability to speculate on virtual
Real Estate.

Since Simplified Domains cross-references with a “famous names” database,
Cyber-Squatters will have great difficulty in abusing the system.  Also,
since we gather financial data up-front you cannot register names for 0
dollars with the intent of abusing a financial grace period.
Cyber-Squatters are hindered greatly and names can be acquired legally and
in good faith.

Patent Pending Process

Simplified Domains is a Patent Pending process.  Because of this patent
protection, collection and registration of domain names under a “3-Back”
system can be controlled by ICANN.  Additionally, a sister to the technology
behind Simplified Domains called “Internet Error Streaming” would allow for
the bridging of the two separately developed and maintained DNS systems.
Internet Error Streaming is in the patent pending process and you will be
reading more about it.  The Spring ISPCON (the leading ISP conference) has
already booked a speech about Simplified for their upcoming event.  Both of
these technologies can be licensed, bought, partnered and any combination
thereof.

Up and running

Simplified Domains is up and running and has been since April of 1999.
RMI.NET, to prove the systems viability, has physically installed systems in
the NAP’s that run along side the current DNS system.  It is working, we
have not had a minute of down time and we have serviced millions upon
millions in domain name requests.

Simplified’s control is available to ICANN, now.  This is not a theory it is
fact.  Simplified is designed and maintained independently to the current
domain name system.  It is and can be employed now.

SQL Database

Simplified Domains' registration data is held in Microsoft SQL Server.
Microsoft has assured me that their Windows 2000 product will scale to
accommodate Simplified Domain's master database.  The SD name servers that
are running in the NAP’s, actually servicing domain name requests, operate
under BSD UNIX and BIND.  Standard issue.   The system is designed to be
robust enough to grow and flexible enough to allow for registrars to work
with the data.  Registrars can establish their own 'front ends' on their
websites for the registration and service of their clients.

There is an Extranet already built for registrars to service their data,
which allows the registrar to only work with their data.  Individual client
information, “at this time” is only accessible to the registrars that set up
those clients.

Dave Lalande
RMI.NET
VP Great Lakes Region