[comments-gtlds] Comments on WG-C Chicoine Paper

     On behalf of Bell Atlantic Corporation, we are pleased to endorse the
     Position Paper created in Working Group C, submitted by Anthony Lupo,
     Caroline Chicoine and Peter Rindforth ("Chicoine Paper").  Bell
     Atlantic's position long prior to the inception of the ICANN process
     was that new gTLDs should only be added in a slow and controlled
     manner -- only after proper protections are put into place to ensure
     the adequate protection of trademarks.  The development of a workable
     UDRP process and protections for famous marks are two such
     protections currently under consideration by other Working Groups.
     After implementation of these protections, there must be a study and
     evaluation period to ensure that such protections are working as
     intended to curb cybersquatting and the misappropriation of
     trademarks as domain names.  As documented in all our filings, Bell
     Atlantic has been the victim of over 1000 cases of cybersquatting
     last year -- both in the gTLDs and in the emerging ccTLDs.  If ICANN
     were to allow the addition of new gTLDs without first implementing
     such protections, it would leave trademark owners without adequate or
     effective remedies to stem this piracy epidemic.

     For these reasons, we strongly support the Chicoine Paper.

     Bell Atlantic Corporation,

     Sarah B. Deutsch
     Vice President &
     Chief Intellectual Property Counsel