[comments-gtlds] Pre-Registrations

Gentlemen,

      Domain name creation is an art, as much as literary compositions,
advertising campaigns, and martketing campaigns are arts.

       True, it is easier in the beginning, when more one word domains are
available and less imagination is required; but it is an art nonetheless.

       When Iana gave IOD permission to pre-register .web, it licensed
artists the world over to create new intellectual property.  Once, and of
course if, .web is approved as a new gTLD, any attempt to restrict the
pre-registrations, will be tantamount to theft of intellectual capital.  I
predict that such theft would be responded to, and that no matter how it
turned out, ICANN would be the big loser.

      There are already laws on the books, for misusing one's creative
talents in this arena.  They are the cybersquatting laws.  All else are fair
game, unless some legality is being violated.

       Any attempt to permit .web and disallow the pre-registrations, is a
demonstration of elitism at the top.  It is the rule where all belongs to the
state, and the state apportions as it sees fit.

       I suggest to you, that this image will not be helpful to the future
development of ICANN as the main hub of the world wide web.

    Eliahu Levenson