[comments-gtlds] re: Comments on new TLD extensions

Wrong Dave!

What you are suggesting is absolutely ridiculous! ANYONE who owns a generic
name like "phones.com" should NOT be offered the first refusal of their
names. This defeats the whole purpose of adding new domain names. The
reason that people want new domain names is because the good names with
generic words (like "phones.com") are gone. So, the new companies that come
alone have to settle for bad, hard-to-spell names like:
"BuyAPhoneAtMyStore.com". Which nobody will remember or want to visit.

What you are suggesting is a 'grandfather-clause' that will continue the
monopoly already held by a select few who own choice, short, easy to
remember, 'dot com' names (which you probably own a few of)  If these
people are allowed to snatch up all the equivalent names in the new TLDs
why bother to introduce the new TLDs at all? We would simply have a mirror
of the existing "dot coms" but with new extensions on the end. I stongly
oppose this idea.

Companies that do have FAMOUS marks (not every small business) like:
McDonalds, Coca-Cola, Ford, Pepsi, Levis, etc... should be offered
protection for their *famous*  names. But, this is only because these
companies are recognized globally. If you own "commodities.com" it means
something to you and your business, but the people in Afghanistan might not
even know what the English word "commodities" means. But, they all know
what Coca-Cola is. So, your argument doesn't hold water -- and will never
happen!

I cannot stress enough times: ICANN should not restrict generic words with
trademark protection.  The nature of chartered (or restricted TLDs) should
be enough to protect these companies. So, using "phone.com" as an
example,  if you sell phones you could get the domain "phone.store", if you
sell cellular phones you could get "phone.wireless", if you run the network
you can get "phone.company", if you run a chat line you could get
"phone.chat", if you print a number directory you could get "phone.book".
Etc....

What this does is OPEN competition in the "dot com" namespace. Companies
who own existing "dot coms" should not be allowed to use the introduction
of  new TLDs as a way to further protect themselves from competition. This
is why new TLDs are being proposed !

Maybe Dave owns a bunch of "dot com" names and wants to sell them. That is
most likely why he would be suggesting that if he owns a name like
"phones.com" he should get first pick from all the new domain names. This
my friends is known as "cybersquatting"....

I will say it one more time for clarity:

GENERIC NAMES (or words) CANNOT BE TRADEMARKED OR PROTECTED !!!!

I am very opposed to business and corporations making decisions such as
these. They do not look out for the good of the people- only for
themselves, and their own financial interests.

Kendall

Dave Green wrote:
-----------------------------
Regarding new TLD extensions. I feel the new extensions should ONLY be
granted providing the dot com owners and/or trademark owners/tm applicants
are given right of
first refusal on their name at all the new extensions. For example,
business.com or
phones.com or commodities.com may be generic and not trademarked but they
should
have right of first refusal to the corresponding .web or ,etc or .info or
.biz., etc. Or, if a
name is either Trademarked or an already filed Trademark Application they
should also
have right of first refusal on all new extensions..