[comments-gtlds] No more gTLDs! I cant afford the legal fees.

It seems to me reading through the other email comments most people here are
seriously lacking in understanding of the internet name situation. I will
try to address all the arguments i have seen posted here. First of all do
realise that people who own the dot.com are literally forced into
registering the dot.net , dot.org and whatever dot they can find to preserve
name recognition and they are forced to pay yearly fees on each and every
name that they are in effect forced to register, what makes you think they
wont register the .web .shop .whatever versions of their .com?

(A simple exercise would be to find out how many .org's are a running site
and not just owned by the dot.com to prevent legal battles)

Its so simple, everyone should check out www.greatdomains.com and then tell
me that the small business guy whos trying to get started has any kind of
chance against the army of domain name gamers.
Im almost convinced the registration companies are promoting this so they
can scoop up another couple of million registration fees extorted from
current .com owners and people from the greatdomains.com club.

On top of the fact the new internet startup guy cant get his dot.com id like
to ask him how he intends to run an advertising campaign with something.web
which is obviously going to drive a percentage of traffic to the
something.com which is probably his competition.
Once again the dot.com wins.

Finally theres the legal issue which obviously nobody here has been
following. How quick to you think you will end up in court when the
trademarked .com finds out youve registered the .web version etc?
Do you have any idea what can be classed as "confusingly similar" when you
have a $1000 an hour arguing the case. Just look at the recent battle
between etoy.com and etoys.com id like to see the decision if the defendant
was selling toys at etoys.net
The trademark lawyers will have celebration with all these new possiblities
for infringement.

That said my last argument is for all the concerned parents out there who
think Gosh! would .sex .xxx be a great way to get rid of all that horrible
porn out there and it will free up so many .com's too  WRONG. I cant believe
the stupidty of this arguement.
1)First of all what makes you think the guy who owns teenpussy.com isnt
going to buy teenpussy.xxx AS WELL? Thats double the links to his smut YEAH!
2)Secondly what makes you think that the guy who owns teenpussy.com is going
to move to teenpussy.sex?
3)Whos going to enforce that move? whos going to review all the .coms
looking for smut? (why do you think he even lives in the USA)?
4)And lastly which reputable company is going to use the now available
teenpussy.com for their new e-commerce startup.?

On a positive note for those who missed out is the new search engines coming
out which look for related words in the domain eg clickey.com and
domainsurfer.com I have also heard of explorer/netscape add ons which do the
same thing. This is a postive move for everyone who doesnt have that short
dot.com name as buy just having the right keywords in your domain name
ensures you a high placing in these search methods... regardless of the
length.

I hope i have shed some light on this subject and id like you to keep these
points in mind while your reading the other letters.

And just remember who really wins out of new gTLD's,
Ill tell you its the lawyers and the guys charging the registration fees.

Sincerely
Matthew Walker
www.FreeTradeFront.com