[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[announce] Results from the NC telecon, Oct 27th




[ To: council@dnso.org]
[ To: ga@dnso.org, announce@dnso.org]

[ from http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/19991027.NCtelecon-minutes.html]

ICANN/DNSO

     DNSO Names Council Teleconference on October 27th, 1999 - minutes
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 27, 1999.

Proposed agenda and related documents:

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/19991027.NCtelecon-agenda.html

NC telecon with participation of Jonathan Zittrain on the item concerning
meeting procedures.

Adopted agenda:

  1. Ratification of the election of the Board members.

  2. Names Council Chair

        o Selection of the LA NC Chair

  3. General Assembly Chair

        o Selection of the LA GA Chair
        o Election of the GA Chair for year 2000

  4. The Agenda for the Names Council Meeting in LA

  5. The issue of meeting procedures with Jonathan Zittrain

  6. The Organisation of the DNSO - administration support from ICANN

  7. The Role of the GA. New Constituencies - specifically the Individual
     Domain Names Holders Constituency

  8. DNSO Budget / Finances - specifically the requirement for each
     Constituency to commit $5000 in LA.

  9. Relationship with Working Groups and Commitees.

Postponed to the discussion by email:

  1. The relationship between the Names Council and the DNSO Elected Board
     members

Next NC meeting:

The next Names Council meeting will be held on Tuesday November 2nd, in Los
Angeles, 1 - 5 PM (13:00 - 17:00).
The Chair will be Ted Shapiro or Caroline Chicoine (IPC)

List of attendees:

   Tony Harris             ISPCP             absent
   Hirofumi Hotta          ISPCP
   Michael Schneider       ISPCP             absent
   Philip Sheppard         Business
   Masanobu Katoh          Business
   Theresa Swinehart       Business
   (AAA replacement)       Registrars        not yet elected
   Ken Stubbs              Registrars        absent, proxy Richard
   Richard Lindsay         Registrars
   Don Telage              gTLD
   Ted Shapiro             IP
   Caroline Chicoine       IP                absent
   Victoria Carrington     IP
   Dennis Jennings         ccTLD
   Patricio Poblete        ccTLD
   Nigel Roberts           ccTLD             absent
   Raul Echeberria         NCDNH             absent, proxy YJP
   Kathryn Kleiman         NCDNH             absent, proxy YJP
   Youn Jung Park          NCDNH
   Elisabeth Porteneuve    DNSO Secretariat

Chair Dennis Jennings (ccTLD)

Quorum present
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

  1. Ratification of the election of the Board members.

     The NC members present and represented to the NC teleconference
     unanimously ratified the election result.

  2. Names Council Chair

     Theresa Swinehart proposed that to ensure a balance between
     constituencies the chairing of the NC meetings continue to be organized
     on rotation basis. A written proposal will be included into the LA NC
     agenda.

     Elisabeth Porteneuve shall check if the Bylaws provide any rules
     concerning the NC chairing. (Verification done, there is no rules
     imposed on the NC and related to the meeting's chair, the NC may decide
     whatever appropriate.)

        o Selection of the LA NC Chair

          Ted Shapiro or Caroline Chicoine from the IPC will chair the Names
          Council meeting in Los Angeles.

  3. General Assembly Chair

     According to the Bylaws, the NC elects the GA chair.

        o Selection of the LA GA Chair

          It was agreed that over the past weeks it's been understood that
          Nii Quaynor will chair the LA GA meeting.

          The NC welcome Nii Quaynor work to organize the GA meeting in the
          LA.

        o Election of the GA Chair for year 2000

          The election of the GA Chair for year 2000 raised the issue of the
          GA's role, the involvement of the NC as part of the GA, and the
          nomination process. That is, how to select the Chair, who will
          chair the physical meetings, who will have in charge the
          ga@dnso.org list ? It was agreed that the GA should nominate
          candidates, and that the NC should select them from the nominated
          group. However, as a members of the GA, the NC members may
          nominate candidates as well. The duties of the GA Chair involved
          not only the physical meetings, but also include the everyday work
          with the GA - i.e., channel of communication between the GA and
          the NC, and involvement in the ga@dnso.org list. The GA will be
          requesed to come up with the proposal for the nomination process
          of the GA Chair, which is to be submitted to the NC for review.
          Following nomination of the candidates, the NC will vote through a
          procedure similar to the one used in the election for the ICANN
          Board.

          The tentative schedule for the nomination and election of the GA
          Chair is as follows:

            1. Los Angeles, November 2th - the GA is asked to come up with a
               proposal for the procedure to nominate the chair to be
               elected by the NC and submit it to the NC
            2. Friday, November 19th - the GA submit the proposal to the NC
            3. Friday, November 26th - review by the NC and decision about
               the nomination procedure
            4. Friday, December 10th - end of the nomination period
            5. Friday, December 17th - end of election of the GA Chair for
               the year 2000

  4. The issue of meeting procedures with Jonathan Zittrain

     The proposal of meeting procedures is applicable to "in person NC
     Chair" during physical NC meetings. The proposal, prepared by students,
     is available online, including commented slides. These are draft
     procedures, and will need work for improvement. In order to get NC
     input and discussion of the draft, it was agreed that there will be a
     "procedures meeting" November 1st, Monday, noon (sandwich lunch).

  5. The Agenda for the Names Council Meeting in LA
       1. The Names Council Chair (proposal by Theresa Swinehart)
       2. The General Assembly proposal for the procedure to nominate the GA
          Chair
       3. The role of the General Assembly Chair (written paper needed)
       4. Formal procedures for the functionning of the NC (the procedures
          will be studied on Monday, then on Tuesday the NC will adopt them
          or not, totaly or partially).
       5. Administrative support for the DNSO
       6. Clarification of the role of the GA

     The issue of questions/answers added to the NC agenda was raised. It
     was felt appropriate to discuss that topic at the Monday "procedures"
     meeting. The NC meeting is open, and anybody can observe. However, if
     there is a question/answers session, what is the best way to do this to
     have good communication with the GA?

     It was discussed that the NC should work on proposals written in
     advance, and that, hopefully, the agendas set on the fly will dissapear
     once the NC structure is more formalised.

  6. The Organisation of the DNSO - administration support from ICANN

     What secretariat functions are needed for the GA ?

  7. The Role of the GA. New Constituencies - specifically the Individual
     Domain Names Holders Constituency

     The NC noted that it shouldn't be discussing or deciding on a
     Individual Domain Names Holders Constituency, as this is an issue
     currently before the ICANN Board awaiting decision. However, because of
     concern that there be no confusion between the GA, and it possibly
     acting as an IDNO, it was important to clarify that the GA is not the
     IDNO. Therefore, the role and the structure of the GA need
     clarification. The GA is not one single constituency of any sort - it
     is a General Assembly, which Constituencies may also be a member of.
     The IDNO should be decided upon by the ICANN Board, in the context of
     the "At Large" membership. Until this occurs, the NC has no view on the
     IDNO, and postpones any discussion until the "At Large" is set up.

     Currently there is no mecanism in the GA to request the NC to address
     an issue.

  8. DNSO Budget / Finances - specifically the requirement for each
     Constituency to commit $5000 in LA.

     The budget and finaces of the DNSO shall be discussed in LA. The NC is
     spending money it does not have.

     The immediate issue is that every Constituency is expected to pay US
     $5000 by the end of November - are the Constituencies prepared to do it
     ? The gTLD Constituency requests that its next year budget is in
     accordance to the Constituencies seats (1 seat for the gTLD now). The
     NCDNH Constituency may be able to rise founds now, but may have
     difficulties with big figures for the next year. The ccTLD Constituency
     commits to pay US $5000, guaranteed by the .IE registry, the ccTLD
     Constituency have not discussed the DNSO budget yet. The Business
     Constituency will raise issue on their meeting telecon call. Idem for
     the IPC and ISPCP and Registrars.

     The financial sharing of the DNSO shall be adressed. There are quite
     polarized views, but the reality is if you want to be on the table you
     should pay.

     Few weeks ago the small group of NC members (Dennis, Ken, YJP, Theresa)
     volountereed to start the work on business plan and budget. Dennis
     already wrote the raw estimation. This group will now return to working
     on this issue.

  9. Relationship with Working Groups and Commitees.

     It is expected that during the LA NC Working Groups and Commitees will
     provide updates by co-chairs.

     The issue is raised what to do if the Working Group Chair resign (like
     in case of the WG-B, Jonathan Cohen was elected to the ICANN Board).
     There were no procedures when the WGs started. The WG-B feels that if a
     new co-chair arrives from the NC, it will be a takeover by the NC.

     The co-chair from the NC is to act as part of a bootstrap process,
     assuming the responsability of the NC, and act as a liaison between the
     NC and the Working Group. The elected co-chair continues to be
     responsible for the substantive work. It is proposed to therefore
     rename the NC co-chair "liaison" in order to prevent any confusion. It
     is also proposed to look at the whole process with the Working Groups
     on "procedures" meeting on Monday.

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

                 Information from:   DNSO Names Council