ICANN/DNSO

DNSO Names Council Teleconference on October 27th, 1999 - minutes


October 27, 1999.

Proposed agenda and related documents:

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/19991027.NCtelecon-agenda.html

NC telecon with participation of Jonathan Zittrain on the item concerning meeting procedures.

Adopted agenda:

  1. Ratification of the election of the Board members.
  2. Names Council Chair
  3. General Assembly Chair
  4. The Agenda for the Names Council Meeting in LA
  5. The issue of meeting procedures with Jonathan Zittrain
  6. The Organisation of the DNSO - administration support from ICANN
  7. The Role of the GA. New Constituencies - specifically the Individual Domain Names Holders Constituency
  8. DNSO Budget / Finances - specifically the requirement for each Constituency to commit $5000 in LA.
  9. Relationship with Working Groups and Commitees.

Postponed to the discussion by email:

  1. The relationship between the Names Council and the DNSO Elected Board members

Next NC meeting:

The next Names Council meeting will be held on Tuesday November 2nd, in Los Angeles, 1 - 5 PM (13:00 - 17:00).
The Chair will be Ted Shapiro or Caroline Chicoine (IPC)

List of attendees:
   Tony Harris             ISPCP             absent
   Hirofumi Hotta          ISPCP
   Michael Schneider       ISPCP             absent
   Philip Sheppard         Business
   Masanobu Katoh          Business
   Theresa Swinehart       Business
   (AAA replacement)       Registrars        not yet elected
   Ken Stubbs              Registrars        absent, proxy Richard
   Richard Lindsay         Registrars
   Don Telage              gTLD
   Ted Shapiro             IP
   Caroline Chicoine       IP                absent
   Victoria Carrington     IP
   Dennis Jennings         ccTLD
   Patricio Poblete        ccTLD
   Nigel Roberts           ccTLD             absent
   Raul Echeberria         NCDNH             absent, proxy YJP
   Kathryn Kleiman         NCDNH             absent, proxy YJP
   Youn Jung Park          NCDNH
   Elisabeth Porteneuve    DNSO Secretariat

Chair Dennis Jennings (ccTLD)

Quorum present

  1. Ratification of the election of the Board members.
  2. The NC members present and represented to the NC teleconference unanimously ratified the election result.

  3. Names Council Chair
  4. Theresa Swinehart proposed that to ensure a balance between constituencies the chairing of the NC meetings continue to be organized on rotation basis. A written proposal will be included into the LA NC agenda.

    Elisabeth Porteneuve shall check if the Bylaws provide any rules concerning the NC chairing. (Verification done, there is no rules imposed on the NC and related to the meeting's chair, the NC may decide whatever appropriate.)

  5. General Assembly Chair
  6. According to the Bylaws, the NC elects the GA chair.

  7. The issue of meeting procedures with Jonathan Zittrain
  8. The proposal of meeting procedures is applicable to "in person NC Chair" during physical NC meetings. The proposal, prepared by students, is available online, including commented slides. These are draft procedures, and will need work for improvement. In order to get NC input and discussion of the draft, it was agreed that there will be a "procedures meeting" November 1st, Monday, noon (sandwich lunch).

  9. The Agenda for the Names Council Meeting in LA
  10. The issue of questions/answers added to the NC agenda was raised. It was felt appropriate to discuss that topic at the Monday "procedures" meeting. The NC meeting is open, and anybody can observe. However, if there is a question/answers session, what is the best way to do this to have good communication with the GA?

    It was discussed that the NC should work on proposals written in advance, and that, hopefully, the agendas set on the fly will dissapear once the NC structure is more formalised.

  11. The Organisation of the DNSO - administration support from ICANN
  12. What secretariat functions are needed for the GA ?

  13. The Role of the GA. New Constituencies - specifically the Individual Domain Names Holders Constituency
  14. The NC noted that it shouldn't be discussing or deciding on a Individual Domain Names Holders Constituency, as this is an issue currently before the ICANN Board awaiting decision. However, because of concern that there be no confusion between the GA, and it possibly acting as an IDNO, it was important to clarify that the GA is not the IDNO. Therefore, the role and the structure of the GA need clarification. The GA is not one single constituency of any sort - it is a General Assembly, which Constituencies may also be a member of. The IDNO should be decided upon by the ICANN Board, in the context of the "At Large" membership. Until this occurs, the NC has no view on the IDNO, and postpones any discussion until the "At Large" is set up.

    Currently there is no mecanism in the GA to request the NC to address an issue.

  15. DNSO Budget / Finances - specifically the requirement for each Constituency to commit $5000 in LA.
  16. The budget and finaces of the DNSO shall be discussed in LA. The NC is spending money it does not have.

    The immediate issue is that every Constituency is expected to pay US $5000 by the end of November - are the Constituencies prepared to do it ? The gTLD Constituency requests that its next year budget is in accordance to the Constituencies seats (1 seat for the gTLD now). The NCDNH Constituency may be able to rise founds now, but may have difficulties with big figures for the next year. The ccTLD Constituency commits to pay US $5000, guaranteed by the .IE registry, the ccTLD Constituency have not discussed the DNSO budget yet. The Business Constituency will raise issue on their meeting telecon call. Idem for the IPC and ISPCP and Registrars.

    The financial sharing of the DNSO shall be adressed. There are quite polarized views, but the reality is if you want to be on the table you should pay.

    Few weeks ago the small group of NC members (Dennis, Ken, YJP, Theresa) volountereed to start the work on business plan and budget. Dennis already wrote the raw estimation. This group will now return to working on this issue.

  17. Relationship with Working Groups and Commitees.
  18. It is expected that during the LA NC Working Groups and Commitees will provide updates by co-chairs.

    The issue is raised what to do if the Working Group Chair resign (like in case of the WG-B, Jonathan Cohen was elected to the ICANN Board). There were no procedures when the WGs started. The WG-B feels that if a new co-chair arrives from the NC, it will be a takeover by the NC.

    The co-chair from the NC is to act as part of a bootstrap process, assuming the responsability of the NC, and act as a liaison between the NC and the Working Group. The elected co-chair continues to be responsible for the substantive work. It is proposed to therefore rename the NC co-chair "liaison" in order to prevent any confusion. It is also proposed to look at the whole process with the Working Groups on "procedures" meeting on Monday.


Information from:
DNSO Names Council