[registrars] Service of process abroad.

Dear Louis:

Two of our staff members attended the monthly domain name study group with
me at JPNic today.  A major part of this month's program was on Senate Bill
S.1948 http://thomas.loc.gov/

There was considerable concern about potential criminal liability to Japanese.

I suggested that Japanese citizens should be outside the legal jurisdiction
of U.S. Laws of this type.  The discussion then turned to civil
actions.  It is my understanding that service of process need not be
accepted by residents of Japan except in accordance with one of the Hague
Conventions.  Those rules require that a legal action be served via the
State Department, to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  Service by
Registered Mail is not acceptable -- provided the respondent knows his/her
rights.

As there may be persons on these mailing lists to whom this could be of
interest, I suggest that any comments you have on this layman's
understanding of these matters be sent to these lists.  Of course, you'll
probably need to put in some exceptions about not being responsible for
such "off hand" legal opinions;-}

Personal regards, BobC