Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 05:37:17 +0900
To: "The Honorable Richard H.Bryan" <1-202-224-1867@faxsav.com>
From: "Robert F. Connelly" <rconnell@psi-japan.com>
Subject: [registrars] Monopolistic actions of Network Solutions -- under
Government
   Contract.
Sender: owner-registrars@dnso.org

The Honorable Richard H. Bryan
U.S. Senate
Washington, DC  20510

Dear Senator Bryan:

On June 16th, I stopped by your office to meet your staff.  Unfortunately,
no one was available at the time.  I left my card and signed your register.

My business on the Hill has come to a head.  Our firm is a member of the
Internet Council of Registrars (CORE) and I am on the Executive Committee
of CORE.  The CORE logo was on my business card.  Perhaps you are aware of
the process which the Administration has launched to put the control of
Internet domain names into the private sector.

Under the DoC plan, as detailed in the "White Paper", control of the domain
name system (DNS) is presently transitioning from a monopoly (created by
the NSF) to a not-for-profit corporation, Internet Corporation for Names
and Numbers (ICANN).  The "interim" board of ICANN has been selected from
distinguished experts in computer matters.  The Chair, Ms. Esther Dyson, is
well known for her even handed, open approach to the governance of the
Internet.  She and her board are doing an excellent job navigating the
shark infested waters that have been presented to them.

Opposing ICANN, there is the government created monopoly, making egregious
profits from managing the DNS.  Network Solutions Inc. (NSI) was a wholly
owned subsidiary of SIAC until SIAC took NSI public a year ago -- they
still hold controlling interest in NSI. Officers of SIAC have profited
greatly from their personal transactions with shares of NSI.

It is well known that SIAC has on its staff many former CIA
operatives.  They are the nations largest privately held government
contractor.  Many of their contracts are with the CIA.  For more details,
visit the following URL:

	http://www.newhavenadvocate.com/articles/raiders.html

So here we have the classic mismatch.  Esther Dyson, known for her gentle,
even handed and open dealings --- and "in the other corner", the CIA,
trained at dirty tricks, covert acts and espionage.

"As the twig is bent, so will the tree incline".   CIA has fifty years of
obfuscation, operating in camera, corrupting government officials, waging
wars.  CIA's alumni in SIAC have learned their lessons well and bring them
to NSI.   Ester Dyson has gained an impressive reputation for working in
the open, gaining consensus.

It's as though they put you or me in the rink with Mike Tyson:-(

NSI, which is domiciled in Herndon, VA, has gotten Representative Thomas
Bliley, 7th District of Virginia, to call for a hearing before the House
Commerce Committee, which *he* chairs.  As I understand it, the hearing is
to be held the week of July 12th.  If prior acts of the Honorable Bliley
are any clue to the future, the hearing can be expected to throw stumbling
blocks in the path of ICANN.

I would appreciate it if you could bring these matters to the attention of
Senator Reid and to such other "movers and shakers" on the Hill who could
throw some weight behind the laudable plans and actions of ICANN.

Personal regards,
Bob Connelly

Robert and Jane Connelly
2828 Marathon Street