Re: [registrars] Teleconference re: Post Testbed Phase

For those of you who haven't seen this yet, it looks like DoC is ready to make
an announcement tomorrow:
http://www.newsbytes.com/pubNews/99/136896.html

Ken, I also have some additional thoughts on the agenda for the teleconference:

1. internic.net as a public resource and signpost for all registrars
2. equal terms to all resellers -- as we all know, NSI currently does not hold
its resellers accountable if the end customer defaults on payment (see NSI's
business account agreement at
http://www.networksolutions.com/business_account/business_agreement.html)
3. the cost of doing business should be the same for all registrars -- if the
end customer defaults, the registrars lose $18 to the registry; NSI loses
nothing (NSI registrar pays NSI registry $18)

Regards,
Lauren

Ken Stubbs wrote:

> fellow registrars
>
> we have had a significant number of positive responses on the proposal to
> hold a teleconference . It is clear that there are many questions that need
> to be answered and a significant need for bringing all the registrars as
> up-to-date as possible.
>
> i talked to representatives from ICANN and they have indicated that they
> feel that a conference of this nature would be most beneficial and they
> would be  happy to participate.
>
> feedback from the registrars who have responded so far indicates a strong
> need for a specific agenda and following up on that , i am suggesting that
> we start a thread for tentative agenda items . there are many questions and
> concerns regarding various policies and procedures that will come out of
> this agreement and also a need for more specific timelines for
> implementation of programs such as the UDRP.
>
> i also feel that this would be an excellent opportunity for us to "put our
> two cents worth" in regarding our thoughts on funding as well.
>
> we all recognize that, at this point in time, we are still waiting for some
> definitive action here... but comments from the other registrars seem to
> indicate that there are currently definitive issues that need elaboration,
> regardless of the final outcome of the negotiations. i will start with a
> couple of items specific item (no priority intended here)
>
> 1. when can we expect some definitive reports on  the testbed phase ?
> 2..how can we make the transfer process more efficient and less cumbersome
> 3. what about the concept of uniform "handles"  ? is this possible how can
> we make this process as effective and efficient as possible?
> 3. what can we as registrars do to more effectively deal with  providing
> input and the front end of the policy making process rather than being
> forced to react at the back end
>
> we are looking forward to hearing more from all of you and to your
> participation... so please lets hear
> your thought on agenda items etc.
>
> best wishes
>
> Ken Stubbs