RE: [registrars] ICANN Budget

Ken,

You have voiced a need to have more information about the ICANN budget, how
they are going to be spending their money and, in-turn, who would be
benefiting from their operational efforts.  I hope that you have had the
chance to visit this page http://www.icann.org/general/budget.htm

It lists the full budget as well as staff required for ICANN by position.

There is an underlying current that many of the registrars agree with that
we (registrars) will be funding ICANN disproportionally to the amount of
ICANN's efforts helping our causes.  For instance, the at-large membership
in ICANN may consume a substantial amount of ICANN's resources, but it is
unlikely that they (the at-large membership) will fund their proportionate
share of the expenses.  This is being done because it may be unwieldy and
ineffective to collect $1 million from 500,000 at-large members (my numbers
are only for purposes of this example.)  With so many members (in this
example), the collection costs will be a very large percentage of the total
funds coming from the at-large membership.

The TFF believes that the registries, registrars and maybe the Supporting
Organizations of ICANN will fund the majority of ICANN's budget (other
recommendations are encouraged).  There is an understanding that the
commercial entities may pay more than their fair share to support ICANN
relative to the amount that ICANN will support their efforts.

Ken, you ask a very good question about operational structure and business
plan.  I don't have the answers that you want.  The TFF indicated that (a)
this years expenses are high because of the start-up costs and (b)
commercial entities will probably pay more than their fair share (due to the
reason listed above).

Do you have any ideas on who else should contribute to support ICANN?

Sincerely,

Richard D. Forman
President & CEO
Register.com, Inc.