[registrars]

RE: [registrars] NSI New Whois Safeguard

Well, I did check the recent NSI data from our whois, and it does seem that
their new system has cut down on some of the WHOIS queries run from that IP
address everyday.  So instead of 5120 WHOIS queries a day average like in
May, this month they have an average of 3823 WHOIS queries per day.

The largest problem with the Bulk Whois data, is actually getting all of the
contracts signed.  A while back we attempted to purchase the information
from a large registrar and it spent 8 months in their legal department and
we still never got it.  We even sent them the check, and their legal team
would still never allow us to get the information.  Finally we just
requested our money back, and we finally got it back about 4 months after
requesting it.

I think we could just solve this by allowing our customers to opt-out of
bulk whois information by default.  You sign up; you are automatically opted
out of the bulk whois by default.  You want to be included in the bulk
whois, go to page 98 of this url and click on check box number 38 to be
included.  This is a joke, but it could easily be done.

Donny