[registrars]

[registrars] The irresistible force and the immovable object meet one night in a dark alley.

Dear Colleagues:

An interesting philosophical exercise considers what would happen at the
collision between a irresistible force and an immovable object. My best
buddy in the 9th grade said, "The most goshawful crash you has ever seed"!!!

But the laws of physics tell us that there is neither an irresistible force
*nor* an immovable object -- the law of conservation of momentum is
prepared to deal with such events decisively and with precision -- be they
billiard balls or terrestrial bodies

But as I listened to the discussions tonight (from Japan) of the IP rights,
law enforcement and privacy regulations, I believe we have such a
collision.  While the US Feds may think that they are the irresistible
force (what with the Digital Millennium Act and all), and that they can
protect the ISP if it takes the actions the Feds demand, the Rights to
Privacy in other legal jurisdictions may well be the immovable object.

I have no doubt that the IPR forces have the best of all intentions, and
that *right_is_on_their_side*, but privacy rules are even more persistent.

I think registrars and other ISPs should listen well to the warning given
to natives.  When elephants fight, or when elephants make love, natives may
meet their makers:-(

Regards, BobC