[registrars]

RE: [registrars] ICANN response to reconsideration requests of Verisign and Dotster regarding the WLS service

I hope next time we begin 1.5 years of work of discussions,
consensus-building
and gathering, meetings all over the planet, teleconferences, polls,
papers, congressional testimony, with hundreds if not thousands of people
involved,
that someone at ICANN will say up-front, that a consensus is not needed,
that this or that issue does not need a bottom-up process,
that that same someone at ICANN will say up-front that ICANN will decide the
issue
in the end without consensus or no matter what the consensus is.

Sure would save a ton of work.

Why do we go through all that to be told at the end that it was unnecessary?
Why did ICANN go through all that if they knew it was unnecessary before we
even started?
Was it for the chance that the consensus would've gone the way they voted
^H^H^H^H^H decided?

Bruce, as our representative, please report back on this question:
on all the other issues, working groups, etc. that are now before the board
or that are currently underway and will be before the board in the next
year,
for which of them will the decision be made regardless of the consensus?
For which issues is consensus unnecessary?
I'd like to know up-front now so I can just badger the board members
directly on those.

Thanks,

Paul