[registrars]

[registrars] Constituency versus Trade Association

Hello All:

I am writing a more comprehensive email on this subject but thought I would
throw 2 of my cents in now.

When the Constituency was formed back in Berlin it was purposely designed to
be light weight to prevent some of the bureaucracy that has managed to
dominate the list lately. As the industry has developed there are pressing
needs for its members to organize and advocate common positions. However,
this should be done primarily through a trade association and not through an
ICANN constituency.

The solution I believe is rather simple, the constituency no longer is
required to pay ICANN to participate in the GSNO. ICANN accredited
registrars currently pay ICANN a US$4,000 for the first TLD, and US$500 for
each additional TLD yearly accreditation fee. Assuming you are a small to
mid-sized registrar that is $6,000 per year in ICANN accreditation fees to
provide registration services in the .com. .org, .net, .info and .biz TLDs.
This is in ADDITION to the per domain name assessment charged to registrar
per domain name under management. This year that fee is approximately 12
cents per domain name per year although it is expect to increase to 18 cents
per domain name year.

In summary that is a lot of money that EVERY ICANN accredited registrar is
paying, and does not include those fees that registrars must incur if they
want to attend any of the ICANN regional meeting. It is my humble opinion
that registrars should not have to pay to participate in an organization
which they are already funding.

Now I know that some registrars will argue that $750 is not a lot of money,
and that if people can not afford it they should not be in the business.
However, I respectfully disagree with this statement.

My approach which was rejected in the drafting committee, is that every
ICANN accredited registrar should be allowed to participate within the ICANN
registrar constituency free of charge. By allowing every ICANN accredited
registrar to vote this would help legitimate positions that we take. If
larger registrars, a couple of small to mid-size registrars, want to retain
staff let them under the auspices of a trade association.

I am disheartened that the focus of by-law revisions over the past couple of
months have focused on exclusion, not inclusion.

More detailed email shall be coming shortly.

Mike

P.S. Regarding funding a minimal level of administration for the
constituency, i.e. votebot etc. There is currently upwards of $30,000 in the
bank account. We have never expended more than $10,000 a year on
non-GNSO/DNSO expenses. Simply put there is sufficient reserves to carry the
constituency for several years in the proposed lightweight structure.

P.P.S. For those registrars that feel strongly they should not have to pay
ICANN any more money to participate in a process they already spend
thousands of dollars a year already on please contact me. If the business
constituency can potentially have two constituencies (large and small) why
can't the registrars have two (those wanting to pay and operate as a trade
association) and those that just want a voice on specific issues without the
threat of having their voice silenced by not paying a self-imposed
constituency poll tax.