[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Request to Deny Multiple Votes/Registrar

Tim and Ross,

I'm not expressing an opinion about which way this question should be
resolved, but it seems to me that the literal meaning of §4.5.1.3 creates a
result that neither of you intend.  The language of that section reads as
follows:

	"Members shall have one vote. Only Members in good standing shall
have voting rights. Where a Member owns 51% or more of the voting shares of
one or more ICANN Accredited Registrars, that Member shall be limited to one
(1) vote."
<http://www.byte.org/rc-bylaws-wg/drafts/recent/gnso-rc-bylaws-draft-041703-
v3r0d0.doc>

Since "members" are ICANN-Accredited Registrars (per §2.1), the limitation
to one vote applies in the first, but not the second, situation below:

	1) An ICANN-Accredited Registrar owns a majority of the stock of a
second ICANN-Accredited Registrar.

	2) Two ICANN-Accredited Registrars are owned by the same holding
company, or another situation of common control.

Do the draft bylaws intend to distinguish between these situations?

Best regards,
Dan