[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Request to Deny Multiple Votes/Registrar

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> Rick,
>
> I don't believe the democratic process is going to be threatened by
> allowing legitimate businesses to have a voice in a process that affects
> how they operate or compete.

Tim,

there is nothing preventing you from voicing the concerns of your parents
wishes, but we loose the democracy when votes can be purchased.

We have roughly 40 members of which 5 control about 70% of all gTLD
registrations. If we enacted your proposal we add about 15 votes to those
same 5 entities. When we have a normal voter turnout of 40% or about 19
voting organizations. If we pass your proposal the 5 largest registrars
would be able to control just about any vote put forward to the
constituency.

your proposal favors only the most powerful and influential registrars and
does not create a more stable or effective constituency, it creates a
situation where you have an advantage over your competitors. your proposal
also creates an incentive for organizations with the financial backing to
purchase votes in the constituency further tilting the ballots in your
favor by accquireing additional accreditations.

I hope you now understand why we have bylaws like these and what "fair"
means when I say fair.

best,

-rick