[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Request to Deny Multiple Votes/Registrar

Tim,

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Tim Ruiz wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Those certainly are not the only reasons for multiple accreditations.
> What the RC is currently doing is disadvantaging a group of registrars
> and blocking them out of the RC altogether because their too successful.
> What I am proposing does not block anyone out.

the registrars are not being blocked out and certainly not because they
are successful. What this mechanism does is allow a single voice to the
chosen entity of a holding companies registrars. Its fair and prevents any
entity form buying votes.

Advocating that ballots can be stuffed by the more wealthy and more
powerful might be common place in the US but this constituency is a
international body and needs to respect the international flavor of its
represenation and as such its democratic processes.

> And for those companies that do pursue additional accreditations to
> improve their competitive edge, isn't that what a big part of ICANN was
> supposed to be about? Or is it that you can only get so big, and can
> only be so competitive before you get your hands slapped. It doesn't
> make any sense.

I would suggest that these multipule accreditations are mearly gaming the
ICANN process and pushing this issue as you are may cause the singly
accredited registrars to request that ICANN investigate these practices.

-rick