[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Proposed Ballots

At 10:31 AM 4/9/03 -0600, Margie Milam wrote:
>I am concerned about the opposition to my proposed amendment.  Does the
>registrar constituency really believe that WHOIS plays no role in
>assisting trademark holders determining who has been cybersquatting on
>their legitimate trademark rights?   Without access to this information,
>it is practically impossible for a trademark holder to determine how it
>should protect its rights.   Obviously, ICANN believes that IP interests
>represent significant policy concerns or there would be no IP constituency
>or focus on sunrise periods associated with the launch of new
>TLDS.      Privacy concerns are not the only concerns that need to be
>addressed with respect to WHOIS.    I think that it is a mistake for the
>registrar constituency to ignore the legitimate role of WHOIS for
>intellectual property purposes.

Dear Margie:  Without going into too many more details, I agree with what
you have said and how you said it.  Regards, BobC

"The person who says he or she is too old to learn was probably *always*
too old to learn".

One of the quotations collected by William E. Franklin, formerly
President of Weyerhaeuser Japan, Ltd., Past President of American
Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ).

[Actually, his quotation was "The man who is too old to learn was probably
always too old", but I edited it to be more "politically correct":-]