	From: Ross Wm. Rader [mailto:ross@tucows.com]
	Sent: Wed 4/9/2003 9:58 AM
	To: Margie Milam; 'Elana Broitman'; registrars@dnso.org
	Subject: RE: [registrars] Proposed Ballots

	> I would like to propose an additional revision to the
	> amendment which would include a reference to intellectual
	> property interests...<snip>

	> These changes would make it clear that the registrar
	> consituency is concerned about intellectual property
	> interests and would make it more likely that the other
	> consituencies would support the registrar position on this issue.

	Tucows does not support this amendment, nor would we support the motion
	if it included this amendment. Trademark, copyright and patent
	enforcement interests should not be afforded special preference in GNSO
	policy beyond those rights that they have guaranteed under existing law
	at the expense of other legitimate stakeholders. Inequitable extra-legal
	considerations such as this belong in precisely the same category as
	those found amongst the WIPO-II recommendations that Bruce forwarded to
	the list yesterday.

	For the record, Tucows does not support using "privacy" as a cloak for
	illegitimate activities. The recommendations of the privacy task force
	should clearly deal with all such activities similarly and not, as
	Margie's amendment implies, put the demands of the trademark, copyright
	and patent enforcement interests ahead of the very real needs of
	individuals, registrars, law enforcement, governments and other
	stakeholders with equally important requirements.

	                       -rwr

	"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
	idiot."
	- Steven Wright

	Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/