   Subject: RE: [registrars] Proposed Ballots
   From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@tucows.com>
   Date: Tue, April 8, 2003 6:23 pm
   To: <registrars@dnso.org>

   > Same here Rob. I had earlier considered attempting to put together
   > an  amendment to this motion

   Elana, I'd like to put forward the following as a friendly amendmentto
   your earlier motion...

   Members of the GNSO Registrar Constituency continue to see abuse of
   public Whois databases by spammers, hijackers and  others intending to
   obtain registrant contact data through  automated or otherwise
   high-volume means for inappropriate purposes.  This raises significant
   privacy, technical and operational concerns for consumers, privacy
   advocates, registrars and registries.  At the same time, the Registrar
   Constituency recognizes that there may be a number of  legitimate
   reasons why key stakeholders may seek to obtain  this same contact
   information through sanctioned means.

   In order to ensure an appropriate balance for all interests, the
   Registrar Constituency proposes that the GNSO Council's Privacy Task
   Force review privacy concerns related to the Whois protocol, service
   and contractual data provisioning requirements for ICANN gTLD
   registrars and registries and make recommendations to limit the
   availability of such data only to legitimate interests and uses,
   protect it from unauthorized use and review whether or not the Whois
   protocol and service itself may be better replaced by a more
   appropriate alternative.

   [] I support the statement as a formal position of the Registrar
   Constituency;
   [] I  do not support the statement as a formal position of the
   Registrar Consituency;
   [] Abstain.

   PS - are we gonna vote on any of this anytime soon? I'm getting ballot
   withdrawal. :)

   -rwr