[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Proposed Ballots

> Same here Rob. I had earlier considered attempting to put together an
> amendment to this motion

Elana, I'd like to put forward the following as a friendly amendmentto
your earlier motion...

Members of the GNSO Registrar Constituency continue to see abuse of
public Whois databases by spammers, hijackers and  others intending to
obtain registrant contact data through  automated or otherwise
high-volume means for inappropriate purposes.  This raises significant
privacy, technical and operational concerns for consumers, privacy
advocates, registrars and registries.  At the same time, the Registrar
Constituency recognizes that there may be a number of  legitimate
reasons why key stakeholders may seek to obtain  this same contact
information through sanctioned means.

In order to ensure an appropriate balance for all interests, the
Registrar Constituency proposes that the GNSO Council's Privacy Task
Force review privacy concerns related to the Whois protocol, service and
contractual data provisioning requirements for ICANN gTLD registrars and
registries and make recommendations to limit the availability of such
data only to legitimate interests and uses, protect it from unauthorized
use and review whether or not the Whois protocol and service itself may
be better replaced by a more appropriate alternative.

[] I support the statement as a formal position of the Registrar
Constituency;
[] I  do not support the statement as a formal position of the Registrar
Consituency;
[] Abstain.

PS - are we gonna vote on any of this anytime soon? I'm getting ballot
withdrawal. :)

-rwr