[registrars]

[registrars] 5th anniversary: we are growing older ;-))

Hi all,

Yes, five years ago, on March 31, 1998, the so-called "Cooperative
Agreement" between DoC and NSi was suposed to expire. It was the date
many of us, from 95, 96, 97 on looked at as the milestone for
introducing a new system that allowed for a competitive, stable, open,
international and equitable administration of the DNS (OK, not all of us
agreed on all of these goals, but these were the different incentives
for all of us).

Fiv e years later the DNS is perhaps more stable, probably more
competitive (even if here ICANN has made some radical mistakes...), a
bit more international, certainly more open. I am unsure whether it is
more equitable, and even less sure if it is overall, a "better" DNS that
it was five years ago....

In any case, it is quite different from what it was then, and form many
of us imagined it would be now ;-)

Amadeu

ps: it is very easy for me to remember the date: March 31st is precisely
Saint Amadeus, so, DNS or not, I happen to celebrate it ;-)))