[registrars]

Re: [registrars] GNSO vote

Ross said mong many other things:

 > Are there specific rules or procedures that allow Council reps
 > to vote their as they see fit instead of voting according to
 > the instructions of the constituency?

Both your implicit position /they should not) and your previous
suggestion that the three Names Council reps should cast their votes
spitting them 2/3 for Mike and 1/3 for Alex for any time they were in
the run seem a bit exaggerated IMHO.

For one thing, and this is perhaps a linguistic/cultural devide, I was
surprised at your interpretation of the meaining of a "representative".
In our political cultures, there is a clear distinction between a
representative and a delegate. Tha latter has a "mandate" to do whtever
the ones giving the delegation might wish. In most European
Constitutions in fact there is an express prohibition of the
representatives (Cogressmen and the like) being subject to any
"delegation", to any mandate by their electors. This is what we call,
precisely, "representative democracy". No mandate, but obligation to
represent the interests.

Use of different cultural meanings of "representation" aside, ang going
a level daown to the ICANN/GNSO structure, I think that the distinction
makes perfeclysense. The GNSO has to express the views of the GNSO, not
only the sum of the views of the different constituencies. The Names
Council should therefore try to aggregate those view, and, well, it is a
fact of life that this could never be done if the different Council
members were bound to dead to the (supposed) votes in one direction or
another given by the constituency.

If we elect them is to serve the interests of our consituency, not
necessarily to follow the strict literal content of a given resolution
or vote.

One level down, again: if this is true, IMHO and my view of
representation in general and GNSO in particular, it is even more so if
we talk about "indications", strawsman votes, "general sense". Etc. The
preferences for the Board candidates was, precisely, a show of
preferences. Your request of how thye reps should vote was your
perception of the "general opinion", seconded by a handfull of registrars.

It deosn't matter whwether all of them agrteed or not. It fails short to
any standard of binding mandate, let's agree at least on that.

Now let mes say waht I wanted to write before the elections started. I
firmly oppose your proposal that the Names Council reps votes as a
robot, in any automatic way. I'll try to explain why.

On a practical side, the Names Council, let's admit it, is a strange
political beast. You don't need to read the ICANNwathc piece Paul has
pointed to in order to believe it ;-) There are, how would I say this,
errr, lots of Marilyn Cades, Milton Muellers and other human beings
which, when they interact, produce strange realtionships. Adopting any
pre-stablished "blind" mechanism like the one you prooposed only leads
to increased horse-trading around you. The message we sent our reps in
this consituency was: try to get Mike, we like it more than Alex, but
then we like both of them much more than any other. At least, this is my
interpretation.

Now, if you go there and decide beforehand that you will split votes
that way all over the vote, you will see things like the ones that most
probably happened: other Council members dropping their favorite
candidates just trying to "prevent" somebody else to win. Vote
aggragation "against" candidates happens in the Names Council much more
often than aggragation "for a candidate. History shows that this was
precisel y what heppened so far for "all" previous Board elections. A
pity, certainly , but it works that way.

Under these circumstances and you have two candidates, and you split
votes from the beginning, you risk "both" candidates bieng easily
outnumbered by a "countercoalition".

Moreover, it often happens that each consituency has his own candidate,
different form the other ones, but many might share a common "second
choice", while frankly not wanting some f the other candidates. Your
proposed mechanism would lead to this more generally preferred second
choice eliminated, and then facing a choice among probably worse
chices..... (if my recollection of the facts is not incorrect, it was
precisely the decision of the registrars reps back in 99 to change the
support of their number 1 pick, err, me, to their number 3, Alex, that
eventually allowed them to put in the Board their whole slate of
candidates).

My message is: the registrars should expect their reps within the Names
Council to do their best to get Mike, and then probalby Alex, to the
Board in preference to any other candidate. But they should trust Ken,
Bruce and Tom to be clever and honest enough to know how they should
behave as for the mechanics of the elections of the 2 seats.

If the consituency does not trust them, or dislike its methods, then the
registrars should try to remove them form office. But their job is
precisely interpeting how to get to the consituency goals with the Names
Council procedures and realities.

For the record: the registrar constituency is the only one that managed
to get all of their supoorted candidates to the Board, in all four
previous elections (well, in 2001 theconsituency and the reps were
somehow split between Paul and myself, so ti was imposible to have it
all with only one seat....).

On another line, and this was in fact the reason that moved me to write
this, the real drama in these and past elections is that, precisely, the
Names Council fails to act as such. The discussions happen only at the
constiuency level, and then, in all consituncies there is a pressure to
get the reps trying to defend its interests. As I said when I told the
Council that I was not running again, it would be really important for
the credibility of the GNSO and the quality of the elections that the
GNSO, and therefore the Names Council would be able to discuss as such
about the names, the profiles etc. No way. Unfortunalty they are still
cpative of this sort of "constituency" war, with no dialogue at the
Council level, ecept for some horse trading :-(

If we view the Names Council as s simple arithmetic sum of the wishes of
each individual constiuency, let's sack al the Council members and let's
use a simple, mechanical addition of consitucny votes. My bet is that we
would see even more deadlocks that we see today....

You see, some favor that Names Council should closely follow consituncy
votes, polls, and even mail threads as simple delegates. Others, like
me, would like having a Names Council that takes itself much more
seriously than it does today, and is really up to the task of agregating
and mediating veiws beyond the strict view of the most vocal members of
each constituency. Because we should not forget that, while this
consituency is alive and, has an evident incientive of representing the
views of parties bieng genuinely interested in the ICANN process
(without which, accredited generic doamin-name registrrs would simply
not exist) some ohter consituencies are no more of the political arm of
a very, very tiny fraction of individuals who use it for strict
political reason.

As for the results of the election, I will cngratulate whoever wins ;-)

Amadeu, in his personal capacity