[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Anti-spam law proposed Nevada

Bob,

As always you demonstrate great wisdom .......

I _urge_ the Registrar community to engage and participate in the WSIS
Preparatory Committee debates - via national government representatives
- to get them on the right page.

I was at a meeting in Geneva on Monday and a developing country
government representative said "Registrars and Registries in teh
developed world should have a charge imposed upon them to facilitate
infrastructure roll out in the developing world".
I think we all agree this is so stupid it is beyond belief - but there
were other Governments agreeing it was an idea "worthy of consideration".

Two weeks ago at the FTC there were calls to place a duty on Registrars
to authenticate the identity of an applicant before processing a domain
request.  Another wacko idea.....

I urge the Registrar (ExCom) community to start thinking strategically
and acting politically....

This game is no longer just about Name Servers and Databases!

Best

Paul