[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Nomination of Nezih Erkman

Bob,

Several unkind observations could be made about the UNSD.

It was not until the UNSD created a statistical bucket (at one time I knew
the term of art), that any potential Registration Authority could seek the
IANA delegation for Palestine. Indian Tribal Governments have attempted to
get TLDs, and ultimately their quest dead-ends at the UNSD, which has yet
to find that Tribal Jurisdictions (some rather large, some not), fail to
meet criteria as statistical buckets (insert forgotten term of art).

How does this chaffe our collective backsides as Registrars? The present
instance of Nezih's standing is a case on point. ICANN BoD 00.64 seems to
be an arbitrary restriction on the RC's ability to govern itself.

[In case anyone doesn't know just how many Treaty Governments there are in
 North America, the numbers are 565 (plus or minus a nickle, with about 100
 in the evaluation queue), and 600 (plus or minus a score, I haven't checked
 in two years), for the USA and Canada, respectively. None are big, but the
 business of UNSD identifier (ccTLD) registry operation by RC members is a
 business, and current UNSD rules do not permit the ISO3166MA to create any
 code points which would enable the IANA to create delegations, which would
 need experienced operators, to wit, some of us.

 Its an Indian Thing to prefer parity, even symbolic parity, to the US.
 Rather than "odd-town-in-odd-state" (nsn.us), or "odd-agency" (-nsn.gov),
 "country" (.xx) or "federation" (xx.tld) is preferred.

 End of UNSD-ISO3166-ICANN and Tribal Trivia.]

I'm fine with Nezih Erkman. A good choice, except for one little thing...

Eric