[registrars]

[registrars] Nomination of Nezih Erkman

I have been informed that under ICANN Board resolution 00.64, the United
Nations Statistical Division document "Composition of macro geographic
(continental) regions and component geographical regions" is the
principal resource for determining which countries belong to which
geographic regions.  The current version of this is at
<http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm>.

Under the UNSD document, Turkey (code 792) is designated to be in
"Western Asia."  Therefore, citizens of Turkey are citizens of a country
located in the Asia/Pacific region for purposes of Article VI, Section
2(3) of the ICANN bylaws.

This is contrary to my initial presumption. Nezih is disqualified as a
candidate under this round of elections due to the geographical
diversity requirements of the GNSO Council etc. Nezih would have been an
excellent asset to the Names Council and the Constituency, so I am a
little bit disappointed with this result, however we fully understand
the importance of these guidelines and therefore withdraw our
nomination.

Thanks to those of you that voiced your support for Nezih during his
brief, but spectacular campaign ;)

Regards,

           -rwr

Ross Wm. Rader