[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Proposed process to fill a casual vacancy as a registrarsrepresentative on the GNSO Council

Bruce Tonkin wrote:

[...]

> With respect to myself (Bruce Tonkin)
> - I am an Australian citizen, and thus part of the Australia/Asia/Pacific geographic region
> - I am an employee of Melbourne IT
>
> With respect to Ken Stubbs
> (from http://www.icann-registrars.org/docs/registry_of_interests.htm )
> - he is from the North America geographic region
> - he is Vice President of Domain Names International - which is a member of CORE
> - he is a Director of Afilias
> (Ken please update this if necessary)
>
> Thus the candidate must not be a officer, director or employee of the organisations above, and must be from one of the following regions:

Let me clarify one thing, regaridng the sentence "of the organizations a
above". Ken is neither an officer, a director or an employee of CORE
(even if he "was" its Chairman of the Executive Committe". He is, so to
speak, a member. Therefore, in strict legal terms, an officer, director
or employee of CORE "could" be selected. Sure, as he somehow represents
CORE within Afilias (where he serves as Director) this would not very
elegant, and I am sure will not happen. But it could.

The prohibition regards holding those offices or relationships withn the
same company. Simple membership is not forbiden. Therefore, two members,
or one member and one member of the Board of Trustees of ISOC or, say,
Sarah McLachlan's Fan Club could indeed be present simultaneously at the
Names Council.

In facrt, mot people would share membership (through their companies) of
ARIN or RIPE NCC or ISOC or the Red Cross or.... The "red line" that
whould be followed is "hierarchy": being in a decision-making position,
or being subject to such a decision-making instance.

In ICANN world, nevertheless, it is alwasy better to push the criteria
beynd its strict legal terms. so as to limit suspicions. We live in a
difficult environment ;-)

Amadeu,  feeling increasingly free from the non-mandatory but often
(self-)imposed ICANN Board "vote of silence" as his tems approaches its
  end ;-)