[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Proposed process to fill a casual vacancy as a registrars representative on the GNSO Council

  • To: "Ross Rader" <rwmrader@tucows.com>, <registrars@dnso.org>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Proposed process to fill a casual vacancy as a registrars representative on the GNSO Council
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@melbourneit.com.au>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:19:46 +1100
  • Sender: owner-registrars@dnso.org

Hello Ross,

The election needs to be run consistent with our current by-laws.

> Bruce - your proposal sounds fair and reasonable. Two
> questions - 1) What
> level of support a candidate needs to gain in order to
> sustain their
> nomination (ie - how many seconds/indications of support
> for the nomination)

My understanding of the current by-law is that a candidate only needs to be nominated by a registrar constituency member in good standing.  The candidate does not need to be an employee or officer of the registrar constituency member.

There is no current requirement for a nomination to be seconded or for additional indications of support to be provided.

The actual wording from http://www.icann-registrars.org/pdfs/bylaws1.pdf
under eligibility is:

" 1. Only representatives from a Registrar Constituency member in good standing can stand for election within the constituency.

2. Only individuals who are accredited, operational registrars, or are employed or nominated by accredited, operation registrars, may be election to an Elected Officer position."

> and 2) what level of support they will need to gain (ie -
> number of votes,
> majority, acclamation, etc.) in order to gain the seat?

There is no specified quorum, or number of votes specified in our by-laws.

Thus I believe the default is that the candidate with the most votes wins.  That has been our practice in previous Names Council and Elected officers voting.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin