[registrars]

Re: [registrars] DECENT SIZE ISSUE: Credit Card Proposal - SUMMARY

Hello All,

I am new to the list, so I apologize in advance if this idea has already
been discussed.

This is not a solution to the overall problem and I don't believe receiving
a credit from the Registry will solve all our problems either. The truth of
the matter is even if we were to get a credit from the Registry, we will
still get hit with a charge back fee. Registrar's can significantly reduce
the amount of fraud by simply implementing some precautionary measures.
Here are some ideas I would like to share that have worked well for us.

1) Use AVS to ensure the billing contact information matches what is on
file with the bank. Once you have verified the address you can then get a
geo-location based on the IP address of the system being used to submit the
order and compare the two. So, if someone is in   India, trying to use the
credit card of someone based in the US, it will be rejected. After we
implemented this strategy our fraud level dropped substantially.

2)Don't give fraudsters the opportunity to try credit cards until one
finally works. If the client uses 10 different credit cards which are being
declined then that order should be flagged for review or denied.

3)Keep a local DB of e-mails, credit cards numbers, and IP addresses of
fraud that can then be used to spot fraudulent transactions in the future.
We have found it best to pend the transaction then void it out, otherwise
they will keep trying things.

These are strategies that have worked for us, so I wanted to share these
ideas with you all.

Regards,
Doktor Gurson