[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Credit Card Proposal

Bhavin:

I did read your post. I am just trying to come up with a range of ideas to
move the ball forward. Inaction is our biggest enemy. I have quietly been
talking about credit card charge backs for over 6 months. That is why I
tried to schedule the Registrar meeting with the FTC Work Shop on cross
boarder fraud.

I believe that charge backs represent the biggest threat to registrars' long
term viability. Unlike transfers we can wait two years for a proposed
solution. A number of registrars will simply not be in business if we have
to wait that long.

Expanding upon your original proposal, the 60 day window you request
represents 16% of a domain name year (365/60) which equates into a pro-rate
$1 for a fee for a .com, .org, .net name. I believe the registries would
have to receive some type of premium to cover the expense of this manual
process. Allowing a delete command without proof of a credit card charge
back could subject this process to gaming.

Based on this financial model, would a $3 fee be viewed as unreasonable. $1
for the registry fees associated with resolving the domain name for up to 60
days, and $2 for the manual process of allowing the name to be deleted and
the registrar account being credited.

Again, I am just trying to brain storm for a series of ideas to resolve the
problem. As Chuck stated in his previous post to the list, registries are
not totally unsympathetic to our position. I think the more options we
present them with the better the chances of finding a mutually agreeable
solution.

Mike