[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Proposed Ballot

Compressing two threads into one...

> which must be approved by ICANN in connection ICANN reform.

I suspect you are referring to Article 20, Section 5, paragraph 3 of
ICANN's new bylaws. I am happy to proceed with any amendments to our
bylaws that make sense for our membership. Whether or not the ICANN
staff will "bless them" as you suggest is a matter that they should
raise with us. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to write bylaws
simply with the intention of "getting them approved". I would rather
write bylaws that make sense for our membership and then
negotiate/fight/cajole/beg to get them approved.

> Somehow I just think your priorities are not in line.
> There are other pressing issues as opposed to trying
> to push through a by-law amendment.

Close to three weeks has elapsed since the motion was first proposed and
seconded. Other than this, I haven't heard that the motion is being
"pushed" prematurely.

With regards to the other pressing issues that you refer to, I would
encourage other members to come forth with proposals for discussion so
that we can deal with these issues. Hopefully these other discussions
will lead us to the presentation of a motion and a vote of the members.
This really is the only way that we can effectively proceed. I want to
bring other items forward for discussion, but given the potential harm
that ICANN's precedent with PersonalNames poses, I felt it was important
to present this motion ahead of the other proposals that we wish to
make. I suspect that this view might be shared by other members of the
constituency or we would not have enjoyed the degree of healthy debate
that we did on the subject and the refinements that were offered by
other members.

> I just can't see why this can't wait until the total
> overhaul of the by-laws later this year.

The motion is actually silent on when the amendment of the bylaws should
actually occur. As you mention, as long as they are in place in time to
be effective as we intend, then it doesn't really matter when we vote on
them. Therefore, my request still stands - there is no time like the
present - especially given that we have no other ballots scheduled that
would conflict with this - not that I am aware of anyways.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/