[registrars]

Re: [registrars] auto deact -vs- auto renew

Rick,

I would agree with Jim about the idea of the Registry controlling what
happens during the 45 day grace period. How a registrar deals with the
renewal during that time should be up to its own business model. I would
think any action the registry takes to disable the name during that period
would put the registry at risk of further involvement in any legal messes
that result from a site being taken down mistakenly.

Also, I think that Bruce makes a good point. At the end of the grace period
the domain name could just as easily be renewed in the absence of any
explicit delete, as deleted in the absence of an explicit renew. That would
move the charge for the renewal to the end of the grace period resolving
the funding issue, and still address the concerns of Jim and others.

As an alternative, we might suggest that the name be auto renewed at the
end of the grace period unless the registy has the Redemption Grace Period
implemented, which VGRS does. The RGP provides a 30-day window to still
correct mistakes. True, it's not without cost, but in most situations in
life, and business, mistakes have consequences. I believe the RGP was
introduced to help protect registrants, not to aleviate registrar's
responsibility to have sound systems and practices.

Tim