[registrars]

Re: [registrars] auto deact -vs- auto renew

Rick Wesson wrote:

> In Shanghai chuck of VGRS made a proposal for changing the auto renew
> policy. This topic was of interest to the registrars on the call last week
> about the expiration date displayed in VGRS whois.
>
> Chucks proposal is as follows:
>
>   o auto renew grace period continues, the name may change, but the
>     period remains.
>
>   o VGRS deactivates the name if not explicitly renewed or transfered by
>     day 10 of the renewal grace period.

Why should the registry have this power?

>   o VGRS deletes the names not explicity renewed or transfered by the end
>     of the renewal grace period.

We are against this. A technical problem, for example,
that prevented a name from being renewed by the proper date
would cause it to be deleted (which would then incur a $40 cost
to restore) vs. (and not that it matters) $6 the way
it is now.

Larry Erlich