[registrars]

RE: [registrars] WHOIS expiration date for Auto-renewed domains

Hi,

The chief problem is what I and chuck explicitly have stated in the
previous mails

- Verisign DOES NOT KNOW WHEN A registrant has renewed the name. Let me
explain this in baby steps

* domain expires on jan 1st
* verisign in its whois puts a note that this is in auto renew period
* registrant realises on jan 5th and asks registrar to renew the domain
name
* regsitrar at this stage has to do nothing but simply change his local
database to reflect the renewal
* meanwhile verisign STILL DOES NOT KNOW that the registrant has asked
for a renewal and will continue to display in its whois that the domain
is in auto renew period

Therefore verisign CANNOT in its whois tell the customer whether the
domain name has been renewed or is still in the auto renew phase where
the registrant must contact his registrar. This will confuse the
registrant.

The only solution is to be able to NOTIFY Verisign of the renewal, and
therefore a change whereby the auto-renew is modified such that an
explicit renew MUST be sent to not have the domain dropped on the 45th
day

bhavin