[registrars]

Re: [registrars] WHOIS expiration date for Auto-renewed domains

When I posted this problem, I didn't think that it would become such a long thread with debates about  "Explicit Renew" commands,
changes on RRP, etc.

I still think that the issue is very SIMPLE:

1 - Showing the creation & expiration dates on the root registry WHOIS is a positive action.
    (Also required by RGP, as Chuck stated)

2 -  The only problem is showing the AutoRenewed domain's expiration date as the real expiration date.
    (Misleading information for registrants. That may think that the domain is renewed)
    Please note,
        - showing the new -AutoRenewed- expiration date;
     is NOT the problem BUT:
        - showing the new expiration date without any indicator that alarms us/registrant;
     is the problem.

3 - The registry already knows whether the domain is in "AutoRenew" period or not.
    Otherwise, the registry wouldn't be able to give credit for Transfer-away and Delete cases that are beyond 5 days.
    You can see it on your monthly invoice that there is AutoRenew section.

4 - This must be corrected in some way.
    Otherwise, it will be a big headache for all of us (lawsuits, etc as mentioned by Rob)

5 -  Finally: the question we need to answer :
    "What is the proper format for AutoRenewed domains?"
    a. Showing the pre-AutoRenew date with and additional 'Grace Period' indicator
    b. Showing the AutoRenewed date with a different header (such as "Projected Expiration Date")
    c. Showing the an additional info under 'Status' header
    d. Combination of a,b,c

PS: There is one issue that is raised by Chuck that I need to answer:
Chuck wrote:
>If we did that (showing the old exp.date) without forcing registrars to submit explicit
>renewals, then the expiration date we displayed would not match the
>registrar's in cases where a registrant renewed but the registrar simply
>allowed the auto-renew process to take care of the renewal.
Answer:
Every registrar lets the auto-renew process to take care of the renewal. There is no other option. The explicit renewal is sent only
if the registrant is renewing for more than one year. In that case the explicit renewal is sent for "the number of renewal years -
1"
So, I agree that the solution is not simply showing the old expiration date. How about option 5.a?
Which one of the above options (5a,5b,5c, or other) sound reasonable to you?

Nezih Jack Erkman
R & K GBS, Inc.
000Domains.com
501-779-1934