[registrars]

RE: [registrars] powerdns

Hi nik,

As I see it the main advntg with PDNS is the fact that it is database
driven making it dynamic and live. Infact tht is the primary issue with
BIND.

However the DLZ project has been it seems sponsored by (I think) BIND in
order to address this very issue. All it simply does is create a driver
to allow bind to pick its data from any other data source (currently
drivers are available for mysql, pgsql and I think a filesystem driver)

In that sense I see the following as my pros and cons table

DLZ
===

Pros
----
* BIND is more stable and tried and tested than PowerDNS
* supports more features
* has greater development following

Cons
----
* DLZ itself is untested to a certain degree

However your statistics below help. Can you help me out by giving me
some more information such as -

* what kind of a server (and how many of them) are taking the load of
300k+ zones?
* how many queries per day do you recv??

I am in the process of running similar stats on DLZ soon ..... To try
and see which of them makes more sense for our products

Bhavin