From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org]On
Behalf Of Robert F. Connelly
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 4:42 PM
To: Registrar Constituency
Cc: cgomes@verisign.com
Subject: Re: [registrars] SIMPLE QUESTIONS

At 03:27 PM 11/30/02 -0500, Michael D. Palage wrote:
>Personal Comment: Domain name portability is one of the fundamental
building
>blocks of the competitive domain name industry. In connection with domain
>name portability registrars will experience churn. However, advocating a
>system that potentially allows a domain name registrant to transfer a
domain
>name 5 times within one week does not seem to be benefiting registrars.

Dear Michael:  I think the 5 times in a week should not occur.  Unless the
losing registrar manually acks a transfer request, the domain remains with
losing registrar for 5 days, after which it is auto-acked.

If the second registrar become suspicious within the five days, he/she/it
may nack the transfer, throwing a monkey wrench (does anyone remember the
monkey wrench?) in the scheme of the an attempted cyberflight/cyberhop.

On the other side of the equation, most transferring registrants will want
access to their data shortly after transfer.  In many or most cases,
they'll want to change nameservers.  Locking the domain will interfere with
that potentially legitimate enterprise.

A suspicious registrar has the option of making manual changes at the
request of a verified registrar -- and then lock or re-lock the domain.

That said, I have no problem with an automatic restriction after transfer
similar to the automatic 60 day restriction after registration.

In other words, I am not totally agreeing with or totally disagreeing with
Ross or Mike.

BTW, we collect for three years *before* transferring for retain request to
transfer into PSI-Japan.

Just trying to help;-}

Regards, BobC

>I am glad that TUCOWS' database does not reveal this problem. All my
original
>proposal/question stated was that registrar should be permitted to impose
>this additional safeguard if they choose.

"One test is worth three expert opinions!"
U.B. Bray

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
Albert Einstein