[registrars]

Re: [registrars] ORG Redelegation

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 12:00:30PM -0800, Rick Wesson took time to write:

> > > substantially outweighs the costs and troubles that the dotORG redelegation
> > > will require. I'm not a fan of a thick registry either, but its the flavor
> > > of the month and until there are reasonable alternatives, I fear that we're
> > > stuck with it.
> >
> > What is wrong with a thin one ?
>
> referal whois, incostant formats (every thinsg the whois tf gripes about)

And would it be a problem for ICANN to *mandate* all Registrars to
have the same whois format ?
Clearly not.

Otherwise, inconsistant business regarding domain names registration
(each Registrar does it its way), should also mean there should not
be more than one Registrar ?

> > Why, to begin with, was a thick registry shown as an alternative to a
> > thin one ?
>
> back in '98 you couldn't get a whois dump from VeriSign and in '00 whois
> access reliability fell on the floor. thick was an alternative to
> VeriSigns thin.

I am not sure to understand what you say here.
In any case, if a thick registry is chosen just because of some minor
and temporarily technical problems, I believe the answer is wrong,
and the question to be answered was not the correct one.

> only recently have registrars noted that thick registries are actually a
> threat to their own business model.

For us it is not a threat to our business model.
It is a threat to customer personal information.
(dissemination, mis-use, etc...)

And a threat not needed, as I said, technically a Registry has *no*
use of personal information.
But, amazingly(?) it enables them to offer new(?) services, outside
pure domain names registration. Of course, it is probably pure
coincidence.

I am also very much amazed by the fact that everyone is crying about
data-mining and such, and presenting it as an argument why Registrars
do not have the same whois format, or one that changes, but in the
same time... I mean... with thick Registries... is the problem less
or worse ?

Patrick.