[registrars]

Re: [registrars] ORG Redelegation

Hi Ross

--On Friday, November 15, 2002 11:30 AM -0500 "Ross Wm. Rader"
<ross@tucows.com> wrote:

> Sometimes one can only get what they can take. I'd substantially agree
> with Bhavin that decreasing the scope of Verisign's monopoly in the
> namespace substantially outweighs the costs and troubles that the dotORG
> redelegation will require. I'm not a fan of a thick registry either, but
> its the flavor of the month and until there are reasonable alternatives,
> I fear that we're stuck with it.

Guys, we were completely sandbagged on this!  Completely!  All along, we
were told that the ORG redelegation would be very simple for us; all we
would need to do is point to a new RRP server.  But that's not what
happened.  We are now told that the RRP used by Afilias is "substantially
the same" as the RRP used by Verisign, meaning that Afilias is unwilling to
commit to making our existing code work.  All the other requirements, the
new OTE test, the migration to thick registry, the move to EPP, is all
baloney that we never bargained for and is completely ancillary to breaking
Verisign's monopoly.  Its one thing to move ORG to a new registry to "break
the monopoly," but another to toss in all this other junk along the way.
None of this extra work contributes to reducing the monopoly.

We don't have to take what we get.  We should have been more involved in
this process and fighting it from the beginning to make sure we didn't get
hammered, like we are now.  We have no advocate.  More and more, it seems
that ICANN does not care what registrars in general and the RC in
particular have to say.  We have problems too.  Most of us are small
companies, but even big companies have to expend resources on this. Those
resources are better spent elsewhere.

As for Verisign having their monopoly reduced, PRI now has the monopoly.
Both Verisign and PRI are regulated and either way, we pay $6.00.  PRI has
to operate under rules just as Verisign did and we still have to pay $6.00.
So tell me, other than general principle, how does anyone benefit from
moving the monopoly to PRI?  For myself, I wanted to see Verisign keep ORG.
They still have by far the best tech support and their systems are still
the most reliable from our end.  I don't agree that anyone benefits from
this.  I know my company and customers do not.