From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org]On
Behalf Of Beckwith, Bruce
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 5:28 PM
To: registrars@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [registrars] Shanghai Agenda

Rick,

There were several registrars at both meetings that questioned whether or
not there was a legitimate need to have Bulk WhoIs available.  In fact, very
few registrars currently make the file available (for the record, the
VeriSign Registrar has a large number of contracts with parties who do get
our bulk whois).  This topic got some discussion about the relevance and the
need for this access.  My recollection is that the strongest opponents to
having it available were the registrars with 500,000 to 3,000,000
registrations who do not want to have to make their customer data available
to others.  It seems a good topic to discuss, since it is an industry
concern.

The other topic, Port 43 access, was discussed by several folks, including
myself, on behalf of the VeriSign Registrar.  It appears that much of the
data mining and data harvesting that is currently underway is being done via
Port 43.  To be able to discuss alternatives for legitimate users, while
perhaps having strict limits on Port 43 access (i.e., daily query limits per
IP that are reasonable for most casual Internet users), with other methods
of access for entities that require more robust access (i.e., Law
Enforcement, IP community, network operators, other registrars), seems
appropriate.  Another topic that affects the industry that perhaps would be
beneficial to discuss.

Perhaps some of the other folks that discussed these topics wishes to
weigh-in.

Regards,

Bruce