[registrars]

whois TF & recommandations (Re: [registrars] Shanghai Agenda)

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 01:32:26PM -0700, Paul Stahura took time to write:
> We'd have good info from honest people, and lousy info from the dishonest
> ones.

The problem also is that for true dishonest people, they do not care
to have their domain name deleted. They will just register it again,
same one or another one somewhere else, and will start again spamming
and such.

This means, that, we, as Registrar, just got an endless task.

I believe that, for true dishonest registrations, more work should be
done to ensure that they will not register anymore. It may mean
keeping blacklist or such. In fact, I think it should be the same for
UDRP, since in many cases the defendent are the same, and are just
speculators. If, after some time, they would be put in a blacklist,
which should after that weight against them automatically, this would
in my eyes reduce problems in the long term.

Of course, it is far from easy to design such a system so that it
works and remains equitable to everyone.
Also, for whois, it would mean cooperation between Registrars, in the
same way as about some earlier threads about bad CC numbers to be
circulated.

Hard task, but, in my view, far more interesting than trying to
believe that everything could be automated verification-wise as the
TF seems to imply, and without taking into account like you all said
in this thread, the complexity, efficiency and cost of the
``solutions'' given.

Patrick.