[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Shanghai Agenda

I agree with Tim (and Bruce) on this one.
Tim hit the nail on the head with:
"...have the appearance of a solution, but are really little more than
superficial"
I agree that maybe more representation from registrars can really help
with the task of coming up with a real working solution to this complex
problem.

For example, issues such as the cost of implementation (and for most of the
tasks
it will be expensive) must be weighed against the cost of gaming (really
cheap).
For example, each of us registrars could implement an automated call-back
system
to "verify" phone numbers (expensive), but then the dishonest registrant
could just use a public-phone telephone number to defeat it (cheap).
In Europe, I believe you can get a disposable phone number with a disposable
phone at your corner store.
We'd have good info from honest people, and lousy info from the dishonest
ones.
Add it would be at a high cost to even get that.
As someone said at the FTC meeting (it may have even been the FTC who said
it):
"we'd just end up with a better educated class of fraudsters"
Then of course, the honest people who put in good info
would be getting calls from telemarketers like crazy
because they'd know (whois is publicly available) all the phone numbers were

valid and they'd know that the person just purchased a domain name.
So even the honest people will end up gaming it.

With an illusion of a solution that will effect us all,
I think at least we are more motivated now to work on this tough problem
and come up with real working solutions.  It wont be easy.

I am looking forward to our discussions of this and the other issues next
week.

Paul