[registrars]

[registrars] Contact Escrow Agents (CAE).

At 06:45 PM 9/24/02 +1000, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
>The counter arguments are individuals don't want there details made public
>due to the amount of unsolicited marketing that goes on.
>
>All agree that unsolicited marketing is inappropriate.
>
>The problem is that the first objective (easier to search) is counter to the
>second objective (harder to send unsolicited marketing).

Dear Bruce, Tim et al: I have stripped the growing list of CC addresses to
save you all the chore of deleting the extra copy;-}

As I listened to the session in Amsterdam, it sounded as though there needs
to be a new concept for contact data.  For the lack of a better
designation, let me call it a "Contact Escrow" or "Contact Agent" or
"Contact Escrow Agent" (CAE).

Persons or organizations requiring anonymity for legitimate reasons could
contract with a CAE to have the contact data of the CAE shown in the whois
in place of the real registrant.

The CAE would then certify that it is in possession of legitimate contact
data for the registrant. Said data could be provided to law enforcement or
IP interests (e.g. UDRP panels) on request.

Sources of CAE *could* include registrars but outside sources such as
attorneys, accountants, advertising agents, public relations firms or other
entities could qualify.

Regards, BobC