[registrars]

[Fwd: [registrars] Fw: [council] ICANN Board Action on WLS]

  • To: registrars@dnso.org
  • Subject: [Fwd: [registrars] Fw: [council] ICANN Board Action on WLS]
  • From: Louis Touton <touton@icann.org>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:57:14 -0700
  • Sender: owner-registrars@dnso.org

Hi Patricio,

My opinions about how ICANN should act on VeriSign's WLS proposal are
detailed in the Second General Counsel's analysis posted yesterday.
<http://www.icann.org/minutes/report-vgrs-wls-22aug02.htm>  Boiling down
the extended discussion there:  Enhancing consumer choice should be a
key goal that guides ICANN's actions.  VGRS proposed (as its registry
agreement allows) to offer a new service that gives consumers one
option. Your company's NICGenie service is another option for consumers.
  While some consumers may prefer the WLS (since it provides a guarantee
of being effective in obtaining a name if the name is deleted), other
consumers may prefer Parava's product or those of others (since unlike
the WLS they mostly require payment only if the name is actually deleted
and successfully obtained).  The choice should be up to the consumer.

It may or may not be that consumers will conclude that WLS offers them a
more attractive service.  That may mean that fewer consumers will choose
the service Parava presently offers.  But it doesn't seem to me to be
ICANN's proper role to deny consumers the right to choose just to
preserve the present business model of particular registrars.

The above is a summary of my opinions (as you requested).  The ICANN
Board's views are expressed in the resolution it adopted, which is
posted at
<http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-23aug02.htm#VeriSignWLSProposal>.
On the particular point discussed above, the Board concluded "that, in
general, ICANN should avoid depriving consumers of the option of
purchasing services they may decide are beneficial, and that the option
of subscribing to a guaranteed 'wait list' service is one such service."

As to your question about transfers, as you know the DNSO (first the
registrar constituency and now the Transfers Task Force) has been
working on that issue for some time, but the DNSO has not yet reached a
resolution.  The subject involves many complex issues about which there
are significant differences of opinion (and please note that VeriSign
Registrar is joined by other registrars in many of its positions).  I
hope that you will participate in the process within the DNSO to make
sure your views are heard--it is important that good ideas be
contributed so that solutions can be developed for a set of very
difficult problems.

Best regards,

Louis Touton