[registrars]

[registrars] deletes/transfers Task Force/vote of excom

Greetings all:
  First, the proposed vote on the jurisdiction of the transfers Task Force may or may not
be in order, but our President has recused himself, supposedly, from any action on
deletes, as he is a director of SnapNames. He is conflicted and should not vote. Indeed,
it is questionable whether Mike should take any action on this issue. The interests of
SnapNames are so clearly different from many of the registrars on this question that he
should stay away from it. The constituency remains divided.

Second, the authority of the Transfers TF to deal with deletes was explicitly confirmed
last week by Philip Shepherd, and follows a formal decision to that effect. The Board of
ICANN handed the issue of deletions and transfers to the Names Council and the Names
Council assigned it to the Transfers TF. (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-
transfer/Arc00/msg00442.html )
Jeff Neuman is in error on this point.

Third, Ross has spent several months creating the conditions for the introduction of WLS,
conditions that safeguard the interests of registrars. Since it was viewed by the TF that
the Board of ICANN might approve the WLS proposal, it is in the best interest of
registrars to ensure that appropriate safeguards are emplaced. Requesting that the
implementation of the WLS was conditional upon the development of the Transfers TF
completing its work regarding deletes was one of these. Approving this motion in light of
the agreement that Registrars have achieved with other constituencies on these points is
essentially a vote of non-confidence in our TF rep. Practically speaking pulling him off
this task would waste months of effort, and jeopardize real progress in preserving the
interests of registrars.

Fourth, we need to ask ourselves which course of action, on any issue, is in the best
interest of our customers. A pattern of cooperation with the registry constituency may be
seen to be emerging which, in my view, needs to be tempered with a realization that
registrars stand or fall on how they treat their consumers - registrants. I think that if
we kept this criterion foremost in our consideration of tactics within the councils of
ICANN, we would not go wrong.

Fifth, it is clear that this question should be thoroughly vetted in our conversation on
Monday at 5pm. It is too important for email.

Below is a copy of Shepherd’s clarification of the jurisdiction delegated to it from the
Names Council to the Transfers TF.