From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org]On
Behalf Of Michael D. Palage
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 11:48 AM
To: registrars@dnso.org
Subject: [registrars] Credit Card Fraud

Hello All:

Over the past couple of weeks in talking with various registrars about
issues that need to be addressed. Almost one issue that is the top of
everyone's list is credit card fraud. Although ICANN is not the forum for
resolving this problem, I believe that the registrar constituency should
undertake finding people that could help us better understand and minimize
this problem.

What I have done is contact the FBI person that spoke to us almost two years
ago about finding potential speakers from the major credit card companies to
give a presentation to us, possibly during one of our bi-weekly calls. I
will keep everyone abreast of these developments as they evolve.

However, one trend that I did find regarding credit card fraud is that it
tends to see a spike during long holiday weekends, like the upcoming labor
day weekend here in the United States. I have compiled a list of links on
the subject, and some low tech features that could help spot a problem
before it is too late to correct it. Because this is a public list, I will
not post these resources to the listserv, but if you would like to receive a
direct copy in your in-box let me know.

Best regards,

Mike