[registrars]

[registrars] Play Nice

Hello All:

I just wanted to try to smooth the waters regarding some of the recent posts
regarding the selection of the venue in connection with our upcoming
meeting. The registrar constituency in my opinion is unique in that we are a
bunch of competitors seeking to work towards a common goal. However, despite
our differences, I believe we operate in a more open, transparent and
constructive manner than most other constituencies within the ICANN process.
Lets not lose sight of our common goal, despite our other differences of
opinion on certain issues.

Regarding the location of the registrar meeting, wherever it is a large
group of our members are going to have to spend 8 plus hours in a plane
getting there. If I was a benevolent dictator, I would have chosen
Washington, D.C. for the following reasons. First, we could have coincidence
our meeting with the FTC meeting on Whois. Second, it would have provided
the majority of registrars that never have the opportunity to lobby Congress
and/or the Department of Commerce the opportunity to show up in force and
make a statement in support of ICANN and the reform process. Unfortunately,
there seems to be a shortage of vocal ICANN supporters in DC these days.

Notwithstanding these personal viewpoints, we took a vote and
Amsterdam/Europe won. Considering that our last meeting was in Washington,
it is not unreasonable for us North American registrars to travel to the
other side of the pond. It could be worse, you could be Bruce Tonkin who
gets the short end of the stick with a 20 hour flight wherever we meet :-)
If there is any consolation, I am looking at having a Florida based meeting
next February prior to the ICANN regional meeting in S. America. I do not
think there would be any objections from North American registrars,
especially our friends in Canada, or in Europe about having a meeting in
South Florida in February.

In an effort to accommodate those North American registrars that may not be
able to travel to Amsterdam, I can explore a pre- meeting in DC prior to the
FTC meeting. I will talk with Bryan our Treasurer, but I believe there would
be funds available to get a room on the 18th prior to the FTC meeting. If
this extra effort would maximize the satisfaction of registrar
representatives I will explore this option.

Additionally, the registrar executive committee has decided to acquire a
telephone bridge to host bi-weekly calls in an effort to maximize
participation and outreach.

Just my two cents for what it is worth.

Best regards,

Mike